By Ethan Luxton, contributing author
It is the goal of Whitman County Public Health to educate the public about contagious diseases and provide information on how citizens can take precautions and protect themselves during outbreaks such as hepatitis A, measles, and yearly increases in flu rates.
Protect Yourself: Here are 10 ways you can protect yourself and your family in the event of disease outbreaks:
1. Get a flu shot annually
2. Wash your hands often with soap and water
3. Clean communal surfaces daily
4. Avoid people who are coughing or sneezing
5. Invest in an air filtration system
6. Stay home from work or school if you are sick with a fever or have other flu symptoms
7. Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze
8. Avoid sharing food or drinks with infected people
9. Don’t share toothbrushes or utensils
10. Make a plan and be prepared at home with extra food, water, and medicine
Learn more about from the WA State Department of Health a bit.ly/WAStayHealthy.